If you’ve been paying attention to the buzz in the natural health world, you may have heard quite a bit about the Endocannabinoid System – ECS, for short. And you may be wondering what, exactly, the ECS does, and why so many people are choosing to supplement with natural hemp oil products. In this article, we’ll talk about the basics of the ECS, how it works, and why you may want to supplement your body’s ECS with high-quality hemp products. Let’s get started. What Is The Endocannabinoid System? The endocannabinoid system is named after the plant that led to its discovery. It is a physiological system that’s critical for establishing and maintaining human health. Endocannabinoids and receptors are found in the organs, brain, glands, immune cells, and even connective tissue. The system performs many different tasks, but its primary goal is homeostasis. That is, the endocannabinoid system helps maintain a stable internal level of health, despite the ways in which external factors influence our health. It has been suggested that the ECS is responsible for regulating immune function, nervous function, a number of social behaviors, and even our mental state – for example, hemp oil has been shown to reduce levels of anxiety and depression in users. What Are The Benefits Of Endocannabinoid Supplements? ECS supplements like hemp oil extract and other hemp-derived products have a variety of benefits on the endocannabinoid system. There are numerous, scientifically-supported use cases for hemp oil, and its effects on the ECS. Here are just a few of them.
- Reduced anxiety and depression – A 2011 study found that cannabidiol could interact with the ECS, reducing levels of anxiety and depression in clinical subjects, and encouraging a healthier state of mind.
- Higher levels of immune function – hemp oil is thought to have properties that address certain illnesses, due to its ability to “supercharge” the immune system.
- Natural pain relief – hemp oil interacts with the nervous system, aiding in the management of chronic pain from back problems, systemic disease, and much more.
- Better sleep – The ECS has a huge effect on our circadian rhythms and ability to fall asleep. Using hemp-derived supplements as sleep aids can be helpful to those 70 million Americans who suffer from sleep disorders.
- Lower stress levels – ECS supplementation has been shown to increase the body’s ability to regulate stress hormones. In turn, this helps maintain a healthier state of mind, and reduce the negative physical effects of stress.